Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Happy Mother's Day

Thank you to all the Mothers,
Grandmothers
and Great Grandmothers who have taught us to knit!


My G.G. taught me to knit!

Knitting Tool Kit Bags

My Great Grandmother's pretty rose 1950's knitting tool kit
along side my modern day version by Cath Kidston.

My First Knit

This is the first piece that I knit with the help of my G.G. at 8 years old. Based on the snaps, I believe this little garment was intended for my Barbie doll!

My Great Grandmother
taught me to knit when I was 8 years old!

My G.G. (Great Grandmother) taught me to knit when I was 8 years old. I only knit with her for a few years because she passed away when I was ten.

I did not really knit again until in my forties. I know understand what an influence she had on me and my love for knitting. As a young girl of ten, I saved her knitting scraps, supplies, Boye metal needles and her crochet hooks and packed them away.

Awhile back I unpacked that box of my G.G's needlework supplies. I had forgotten about her pretty rose knitting tool kit filled with her tiny crochet hooks, tape measure and markers. What a coincidence that today I use a pretty rose bag for my tool kit, too. In my tool kit is my G.G.'s #00 Boye crochet hook...I use it whenever I need to pick up a dropped knit stitch.

I am so grateful that my G.G. taught me to knit.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

That's such a precious tribute!

Rebekah said...

I was thinking about teaching a few of my students to teach, which are 9-10 years old. They live in poverty and would probably never learn otherwise. I know it meant a lot when my mom taught me to crochet at a young age. Thank you for sharing your story.

Unknown said...

Rebekah...I love your story!
I hope you do teach your students to knit.
You can probably even get supplies donated by posting on Ravelry or asking one of the large yarn companies for help. Good luck!