Saturday, January 24, 2009

I met Louisa Harding!

Designer Louisa Harding
Book Signing and Trunk Show

My local yarn store Babetta's Yarn & Gifts hosted a book signing event with Louisa Harding on January 21, 2009.  Since Louisa is my favorite designer, I was pretty excited to meet her. It really is because of her that I am so excited about knitting. Her beautiful books and patterns were inspiration for me a year ago to take knitting lessons and become a better knitter.

When Louisa walked into Babetta's, I clapped. It may sound silly but I did. I was just very excited (okay, maybe a little giddy) that she was visiting my local yarn store.  After their arrival, Louisa and her yarn rep Cindy set up a trunk show of her gorgeous garments for us to see and even try on.

I wore my Louisa Harding Scala Wrap that I frantically finished to wear to the book signing. I made a comment to Louisa, that I don't knit sweaters due to my size. (Yes, I have gained some weight.) The next thing I know, Louisa has me trying on one of her sweaters. I just knew it would be,too, small. She insisted and said "knits are meant to stretch and that she designs for all types of women".

She also said "wear your knits with confidence". I love that!

This was the first designer trunk show that I had ever been to. Oh, how I loved seeing all the patterns actually knit into garments and accessories. It was wonderful to feel the yarns knit into fabrics. Now, I can't wait to knit even more of Louisa's beautiful patterns.

Here is a glimpse of the trunk show:

Abertay Wrap from the Wildspur book

Knitted in Grace Hand Dyed yarn.

(Louisa is wearing the Abertay Scarf version,
knitted in La Salute, sh. 10 grey.)



Tyrone Gloves from the Wildspur book
Knitted in Grace Hand Dyed, shade 3 Aqua.
These felt so wonderful when I tried them on!
Yes, I had to buy the yarn to make them!

Udipur from Rajasthan book

Knitted in Castello yarn with sequin details.
I loved seeing the sequin details in person.
(I already have the yarn to knit this shawl!)

Nouveau and Deco New Spring/Summer Books

Nouveau and Deco are the names of Louisa's new Spring/Summer 2009 books. Lucky for us, we were able to peak at the mock up pattern books. They are filled with pretty patterns inspired from the early 1900's Nouveau period along with Deco inspired patterns from the 1920's and 1930's. I can't wait to buy them both. They should be hitting the stores sometime in March.

Maya, Louisa, Babetta and Cindy
(and Maya's cute kids)

Thank you so much to Babetta and Maya for hosting the Louisa Harding book signing and trunk show at Babetta's Yarn & Gifts.

Babetta's Yarn and Gifts
4400 San Juan Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628
(916) 965-6043

Thank you to Louisa and her yarn rep Cindy for making the whirl wind trip to Fair Oaks Ca. They flew up from the TNNA show in San Diego to SFO, drove to Fair Oaks for the book signing and then drove back to San Francisco to another yarn store event that afternoon.

Mostly I would like to say thank you to Louisa Harding herself.
Louisa certainly was everything and more that I had hoped she would be in person. She was gracious to me and all her fans. She took the time for each and every one of us to sign our books, listen to our admiration for her, listen to our knitting stories and take photographs with her.
She is an incredibly talented woman and designer who has remained very humble, genuine and real.

I admire her even more now that I have met her and have a glimpse of the designer and person, Louisa Harding is.

No comments: