Sunday, November 6, 2011

Interweave Knitting Lab

Welcome to the Knitting Lab

Hats off to Interweave
for their first annual Interweave Knitting Lab,
November 3-6, 2011.

I was thrilled to head back to my old college stomping grounds
in San Mateo, California on Saturday for their
special events with Alice Starmore.

 The Knitting Lab event appeared to me to be a huge success.
Everyone on the Interweave team wore lab coats and were professional, friendly and helpful.

I met Beth, Interweave Sr. Marketing Manager and she told me that they wanted the Knitting Lab
to be "the magazine coming alive". 
She summed it up best when she said
"the Knitting Lab is an educational conference with a marketplace". 

I chatted with a few fellow knitters and they all raved about the classes and instructors. 

Here is a recap of my day at Knitting Lab...

 Knitter's Market

My first stop was the Knitter's Market.
The Knitter's Market was a small marketplace,
 free of charge to Knitting Lab attendees and the general public. 

I met a lot of nice vendors and retailers walking through it.

 The Habu Ladies

I saw some familiar faces at the Market,
 like the lovely Habu ladies.

 Yummy Yarns

Yes, there were yummy yarns
at the Knitter's Market!

Designing Women
(Left to right: Ann Budd, Joan McGowan-Michael, Vivian Hoxbro & Annie Modesitt)

Of course, the best part of the Knitting Lab were all
the Designing Women!

Each day along with classes,
there were book signings with
favorite knitting authors and designers. 

Eunny Jang

I also ran into Interweave Knits magazine Editor,
Knitwear Designer, Author and TV knitting celebrity...
Eunny Jang.

Eunny was so cute and nice. 
 I couldn't wait to tell her how much I enjoy  Knitting Daily
every Tuesday morning at my house.

Alice Starmore

Naturally, I've saved the best for last...
the legendary Alice Starmore was at Knitting Lab
 as a keynote speaker for "My Colorful Life"
as well as a book signing.

I was a bit curious how Interweave managed to get Alice Starmore to come out for Knitting Lab.  
While chatting with  Karin Strom, Editorial Director,
I found out that Alice is long time friends
with Interweave founder, Linda Ligon

Last night when Karen Strom introduced Alice for her talk,
she told us that it took Alice 27 hours to travel from her home
on the Isle of Lewis, Scotland to San Francisco, California. 

Alice said it had been 13 years since she has visited the
United States.  
How grateful we knitters are that she made the extremely long journey.

At the book signing earlier in the afternoon,
I asked Alice what else she will be doing on her visit
to Northern California. 
She told me that she loves the Pacific Coast and Pacific Ocean
and is looking forward to spending time north of San Francisco
at the coast again.

It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to meet Alice Starmore
and another knitting dream come true for me.

Stay tuned for my upcoming post on meeting
this legendary knitter. 

1 comment:

Jules said...

I can't believe you got to see Alice Starmore! She's one knitting celebrity I could get excited about seeing, and a rare opportunity. I have her book that was inspired by her last visit to the Pacific coast and I believe she loves it--lots of great designs in there. Lucky you.