Monday, May 4, 2015

Fit for a Princess!

HRH Princess Charlotte of Cambridge

Welcome to the world Princess Charlotte!  

I love Princess Charlotte's beautiful baby shawl.  Since I'm a knitter, I had to do some research on it.  The shawl is made of super-fine merino wool and hand finished with a traditional Shetland scalloped edge.  It is made by G. H. Hurt & Son in their shawl factory in Nottingham, England.  

G.H. Hurt & Son began in 1912 and is still family run today.  They are the sole survivor of the lace shawl industry in Nottingham.  

If Princess Charlotte's lovely baby shawl has sparked your interest to knit your own, just search on Raverly for Shetland shawls.  There are over 700 patterns to choose from.  I am partial to the Shetland shawls by Sharon Miller and Elizabeth Zimmerman.

 I also love  Hansel by Gudrun Johnston of The Shetland Trader which is a traditional Shetland Hap shawl perfect for swaddling a new baby in.  Gudrun even has a Cratsy class The Shetland Hap Shawl to help you knit your own version!   I'm pretty certain I will knit Hansel one day for a future family heirloom.  


(Photo credit:  Press Association)

No comments: