Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Knitter Magazine Issue 7

The Knitter Issue 7

I was a lucky knitter and found Issue 7 of The Knitter magazine last week. It's cover told me in an instant that this issue was all about pretty knits! Summer florals are this issue's theme.

Let's have a look inside!


Damask Flower by Kaffe Fassett

One of the prettiest hand knit sweaters I have ever seen is Kaffe Fassett's Damask Flower sweater. I've always admired colorful intarsia and fair isle knits. I think it must be tied into my love of textiles and damask fabric patterns from my career as an interior designer.

Damask Flower
Now ( The Knitter)/Then (Glorious Knits)

Lucky for us, Issue 7 of The Knitter features Kaffe Fassett's updated 1980's Damask Flower peplum jacket pattern from his first book, 1985's Glorious Knits.

Kaffe's inspiration for his Damask pattern came from a fragment of a beautiful 18th Century Spanish silk damask. His damask flower motif was worked over a striped background of 10 to 14 colors with no more than four rows of each color. The original pattern called for DK and chenille yarns. His new updated version uses Rowan's Pure Wool DK and Kidsilk Aura and 11 colors.


Glorious Knits by Kaffe Fassett

A few years back when I was a new knitter, I lucked out and found a second hand, first edition copy of Kaffe's Glorious Knits. I never dreamed that I would be able to knit anything in this beautiful book. I simply bought it because it was so beautiful to look at. I now understand why Kaffe is known as the master of color! The photographs and knits are as stunning today as they were back in 1985!

I'll be keeping this issue of The Knitter for my knitting library...right along side Kaffe's Glorious Knits!


Rose Shetland Shawl

Judy Furlong's Rose Shetland Shawl is a contemporary take on the traditional shawls of Shetland. It is knit in Jamieson & Smith's 1ply Cobweb yarn. The yarn comes in six shades.

The pattern says that no special techniques are used for the pattern. The knitter will rely on picking up stitches and grafting to avoid seams. Hmm...perhaps this will be my first Shetland shawl to knit?

Rosa Alba

Another beauty is Martin Storey's Rosa Alba. This is another fine example of the beauty of intarsia knitting. This vintage-inspired cardigan is knit in Rowan's Fine Milk Cotton yarn. The pretty rose corsage is knit separately and sewn along the neck border.

There are many reasons to pick up this issue of The Knitter, if you can. The lovely lavender cover jumper (sweater) named Wisteria is an exclusive design by Amanda Crawford. Good luck finding your own personal copy...this British knitting magazine sells out fast!

1 comment:

Sheial said...

I think "Knitter" should hire you for their marketing. You make everything sound so tempting! Great blog!