Monday, November 19, 2012

Make it Better

 Craftalong Hats 

I love the power of crafters!

Crafty bloggers, Brett Bara from Manhattan Craft Room and Natalie Soud from A Dose of the Delightful have organized a way to get warmth to Hurricane Sandy victims in their region.  It's called Make it Better:  Craftalong for Sandy Relief. 

They gave a shout-out to fellow crafters to knit, crochet or sew warm hats, socks, blankets, scarves, sweaters and mittens and they will deliver them to those in need. 

I wanted to knit hats but due to having hand surgery earlier in the year, I have to limit my knitting.  I still wanted to help.  So the other day I went thrifting and found 13 gently used (even new) hats to send to the craftalong.  Of the 13 hats, four were actually hand-made by someone else's loving hands.  I have hand laundered them and they are now on their way to New York City.

My hope is that the hats bring warmth, comfort and a smile to some young girls and ladies who could use a warm winter hat as they recover from Hurricane Sandy.  

Brett and Natalie have received over 2,700 items (and still counting) from fellow crafters.  They are now busy delivering the warm goods to various shelters in the Rockaways area of New York.  The deadline for their drive has ended but there are still many other groups collecting goods to help those in need.  

One of my favorite companies Knitting Fever in Amityville, New York (home of my favorite designer's yarns) is accepting donations of warm clothes and goods and are delivering them around Long Island which was hard hit by Hurricane Sandy.  They hope to continue to accept donations and distribute them for as long as there is a need.  Please visit the Knitting Fever Facebook page or their blog for more information and ways that you can help.  

No comments: