Sunday, April 22, 2012

Make Do and Mend


Reduce

Today is Earth Day.

I've always cared about Mother Earth.
When I was 10 years old I started an ecology club in grade school
called the Helping Hands because I cared about the environment.  

I care about the environment even more today
and do my best to live "green" and  follow the Three R's:
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. 

 Reuse

So last winter, I discovered some moth holes in one of my cashmere sweaters.
(Lesson learned...I should have stored it in a plastic bin.)
Being a knitter, I just couldn't bring myself to throw all that 
luxurious cashmere away.  So instead, I decided to
and recycled that sweater into beautiful felted flower pins.

I love that it's "vogue" again to 
"make do and mend".
Just check out the adorable Mollie Makes and
  Green Craft magazines and all the upcycled goods 
for sale on Etsy 
and you'll see what I mean.

Recycle

So now my cashmere sweater has a whole new life 
and I saved it from the land fill! 

3 comments:

Sheila said...

Love it! Beautiful and smart, just like you!

Teresa said...

I love that you saved something from what could have been a disaster and have something so pretty to use with lots of other items of clothing. Great idea, Lisette - thank you for passing it on.

Jules said...

What cute pins! The cashmere fuzzes up nicely. Good for you for reusing!